August 21, 2010

13.1...We did it!

I officially did my first race this morning! Jess and I completed the Madison Mini-Marathon, 13.1 miles. We had one goal...FINISH! I have to be totally honest and say that it was much more difficult than I had envisioned. Don't get me wrong, I knew it was going to be hard! It sure was toasty outside and we sure did sweat A LOT. At one point when we were in the midst of so many others all having the same goal to finish, I looked around to see people soaking wet, sweat just dripping off of their shorts, hats, running to the ground and thought how neat it really was. For how often Americans get criticized for our health, there were a lot of calories being burned today just so people could say "I did it!". Some people were training for longer races, some were doing it to beat their time last year, and then there were people like me who just wanted to finish because it would feel like an accomplishment. Did we win the race? Nope. Did we finish? Yes we did. That was our goal and I'm proud to say that Jess and I did it!


Before the race began...

Mile 9...4.1 left to go!

1 comment: